Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Reality Check Rain


Today I woke up to the sound of rain hitting the top of my trailer. Having lived in Seattle for several years, I find the pitter patter sound quite relaxing. I was up at 6:30, a couple of hours after the rain had started and walked in the building we are using as our offices (it has a hot shower as well). I turned on the lights and GC REALITY hit! GC REALITY, aka. Gulf Coast Reality = these are the facts of everyday life for everyone on the coast. The reality is that every house around the Gulf Coast has roof damage and most people, like me, spent a good part of the morning placing empty cups, bowls and cans under zillions of little drips coming from the ceiling. Just when we think life is returning to normal, subtle reminders occur to wake us up again to GC REALITY.

I spent several hours in Biloxi today and drove by the houses we were working on a few weeks back with the CPC high school students = THE KREW .
Ms. Massie's house is looking good. She wasn't around when I stopped by but the grass had been mowed. Over at Dianna's, things seem chaotic, which is pretty normal for over there. I also went by Gloria's to see if LA was around. His tent was soaking wet. The rain fly was in a pile on the ground and there was no sign of him.

I took some volunteers over to help set up the new Compassion Central site over on Howard, towards the Point. Those who were with me a few weeks ago might remember that the Point was totally destroyed by the storm. From the looks of it, nothing has been done to any of the properties. This area really seems hopeless. I had to pull over a few times and just pray as tears came to my eyes. There were a few FEMA trailers that had been set up in that area but not many. PDA's motto is "Out of Chaos...Hope" and I was praying for the faith to believe that hope can return to this area.

The reason that the Compassion Central moved is because those who have been running it have had a disagreement and have decided to split from each other. I don't know any details but I do know that there are a ton of folks that are being affected by this disagreement. Again, my prayer, "Out of chaos...hope".

I'm including some pictures in this email... The GC REALITY... Ms. Massie's house lookin real nice...the grade school over off of Division St....What's left of the Seashore Mission down on the Point...some sweet volunteers.

FYI: This week we have folks from New Jersey, Florida and Texas.

Lots of love,

Erica




The reason that the Compassion Central moved is because those who have been running it have had a disagreement and have decided to split from each other. I don't know any details but I do know that there are a ton of folks that are being affected by this disagreement. Again, my prayer, "Out of chaos...hope".

I'm including some pictures in this email... The GC REALITY... Ms. Massie's house lookin real nice...the grade school over off of Division St....What's left of the Seashore Mission down on the Point...some sweet volunteers.

FYI: This week we have folks from New Jersey, Flordia and Texas.

Lots of love,

Erica

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Erica: Know that I am praying for you and your team as you serve, minister, love-on, and care for the people of the Gulf Coast. DD

6:58 AM  
Blogger Katie Jean said...

i hope all is going well! I miss you tons? Are you still checking your e-mail while your there???I have a few things to ask you...let me know. <3 ya!

9:33 AM  
Blogger dana said...

Erica! I am loving your blog...I so much wish that I could be there... Well, I was hoping to tell you this in person... but I am afraid you will hear it from someone else (if you already haven't)... but... we are expecting!!! yep. craziness... I am looking forward to hearing your stories when you get back. You are doing good work, my friend. I miss you!

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home